Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Propstrike ! ! ! UPDATE


N1423T Bent Prop Picture
Originally uploaded by Mar26.

A quick update on the incident we had at my flight school this weekend. The student who had this accident posted on StudentPilot.com. Link to thread here with his original post pasted below:

Hello all. Though I have never posted before, I have thoroughly enjoyed
reading everyone's helpful advice and solo stories.My own story is that I soloed
last week at 15.1 hours. Today I went for my 2nd solo to practice maneuvers and
touch and goes. Unfortunately, I had an accident during the landing the 3rd
touch and go. Out of caution, I cannot provide details.However, I am extremely
grateful for being alive. I had no injuries, but the accident scared the hell
out of me. In terms of damage, the prop was bent a little bit and the nosegear
off-center a bit. I was able to taxi back with the engine running.As the day has
worn on, my worrying has only increased after having read others' stories.
Still, I haven't been obtain a clear picture of what actually occurs following
the accident.My instructor told me to expect a call from the FAA once he files
the report. Beyond this, what else should I expect (in the immediate and distant
future)? Will this go on a permanent record? Will other flight schools not take
me in?At this point, I am done with flying. I am relatively young (22) and have
a hopefully promising future ahead of me. I have a great extended family who I
don't want to lose. It has also shaken my core that someone else's property was
damaged under my care and that potentially I could have hurt someone else as
well. Though I have loved flying since I was a kid, at this point I have too
much to lose and cannot take on the responsibility that being a pilot
entails.thanks to all for being a supportive community. I will sincerely
appreciate any guidance on the matters I discussed above.

Please, if possible take the time to read this thread and ecourage this individual to get "back on the horse" as they say. Additionally some of the other posters give some really good advise on things such as renter's insurance and dealing with the FAA. I plan on writing up a post in the near future exclusively on renter's insurance as I currently don't have any and after reading all of this have decided that I NEED it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home