Thursday, July 13, 2006

Lesson #23: Soft Field Take Off and Landing


Why is air-conditioning so expensive in Airplanes? That is more of a rhetorical question but man has it been hot here the ChicagoLand area. Before I talk about my lesson let me rant for a little bit. It has been my experience that Flight Schools and scheduling are terrible. Case in point I had the plane scheduled at 6:00pm which I verified before I drove to the airport. Now when I get to the airport the owner of the flight school says that one of the other instructors thinks he has the plane at the same time. I think to my self "too bad check the schedule" but instead I hear the the other instructor is "willing" to delay his lesson and hour. This measn that my two hour lesson is now only going to be one hour. This did not make me too happy. We have an online schedule, how hard is it two check the schedule and why should I rearrange for your screw up. Anyway RANT OVER. I spent today's lesson learning soft field take off and landing. If you have been reading my blog you will know I haven't flown in a while so I was ready to be a bit rusty when I went up today. Tom and I took of from Palwaukee and he asked to to perform this one as a soft field take off and he re-explained what the procedures were. The soft field takeoff doesn't seem to be too hard on paper but rolling down the runway with the yoke in my chest will take some getting used to. From PWK we flew Campbell where I spent the remaining 30 min performing soft field landings. As a whole my lesson today sucked. I was sweating something fierce, I was rusty and as a result I didn't even have one good soft field landing. I am going to need a lot or work in this area of my training. Hopefully these techniques will get easier with time. I am however, looking forward to my next lesson which will be my first night flights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home